PHIDIAS: Boosting the use of cloud services for marine data management, services and processing
Thank you for joining us!
The webinar slides and recorded video are available below. You can also read the webinar highlights and takeaways here.
Download a copy of the webinar slides.
- Introduction of PHIDIAS project - Francesco Osimanti, Trust-IT Services, PHIDIAS WP7 Leader
- PHIDIAS Ocean use case and contribution of HPC to marine studies - Cecile Nys, IFREMER
- Exploring advanced cloud services for marine and oceanographic data access and data management - Gilbert Maudire, IFREMER
- Passport photos for plankton: new era for marine biology research - Jukka Seppälä, SYKE
- Analyzing ocean observations in an HPC infrastructure with DIVAnd - Alexander Barth, University of Liege
- Blue-Cloud Platform: marine-thematic EOSC services for Marine Research and the Blue Economy - Pasquale Pagano, CNR-ISTI & Blue-Cloud Project
The next planned webinar is for Use case 1: Intelligent screening of satellite data. Stay tuned for the next announcements.
Description and scope of the Project
Phidias HPC is aimed at developing a consolidated and shared HPC and Data service by building on pre-existing and emerging infrastructure in order to create a federation of "user to infrastructure" services.
To achieve its purpose and to gain a comprehensive picture of the European infrastructure landscape, three data area tests will develop and provide new services to discover, manage and process spatial and environmental data produced by research communities tackling scientific challenges such as atmospheric, marine and earth observation issues.
Webinar: How to improve the cloud services for marine data
Observing the ocean is challenging: missions at sea are costly, different scales of processes interact, and the conditions are constantly changing, which is why scientists say that "a measurement not made today is lost forever". For these reasons, it is fundamental to properly store both the data and metadata, so that their access can be guaranteed for the widest community, in line with the FAIR principles: Findable, Accessible, Inter-operable and Reusable.
PHIDIAS HPC has organised a webinar entitled "PHIDIAS: Boosting the use of cloud services for marine management, services and processing" to be held on 4th June 2020 at 11 AM CEST. The webinar aims to introduce the Phidias HPC initiative, in collaboration with the Blue-Cloud project, to the European HPC and Research community, specifically in the Blue economy, to improve the use of
- Cloud services for marine data management,
- Data services to the user in a FAIR perspective, and
- Data processing on demand.
These objectives will be pursued in coherence with the development of the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) and the Copernicus Data and Information Access Services (DIAS).
We are inviting
- Big Data and HPC communities
- Scientific Communities (specifically within Earth Science, Atmosphere and Oceans domains)
- People who work on ocean and marine initiative and projects
- Research infrastructure staff, repository managers, university administration, scientific communities, researchers.
By participating you will be able to:
- Understand better how to improve the long-term stewardship of marine in-situ data
- Discovering the benefits of Standardised Data/HPC services for marine study
- Improving data storage for services to users
- Allowing marine data processing workflows for on-demand processing
- Enabling Open Access to HPC services
- Keeping abreast with the current status of the European Blue Economy and HPC ecosystem
11:00 - 11:05 - Introduction of PHIDIAS project - Francesco Osimanti, Trust-IT Services, PHIDIAS WP7 Leader
11:05 - 11:15 - PHIDIAS Ocean use case and contribution of HPC to marine studies - Cecile Nys, IFREMER
11:15 - 11:25 - Exploring advanced cloud services for marine and oceanographic data access and data management - Peter Thijsse, MARIS
11:25 - 11:30 - Q&A Session
11:30 - 11:40 - Passport photos for plankton: new era for marine biology research - Jukka Seppälä, SYKE
11:40 - 11:50 - Analyzing ocean observations in an HPC infrastructure with DIVAnd - Alexander Barth, ULiege
11:50 - 12:00 - Blue-Cloud Platform: marine-thematic EOSC services for Marine Research and the Blue Economy - Pasquale Pagano, CNR-ISTI & Blue-Cloud Project
12:00 - 12:05 - Q&A Session
12:05 - 12:10 - Closing remarks
Thank you, see you in our next webinar!